For my money, Gossip diva Beth Ditto was the star of last night’s French-import tribute to Edith Piaf at the Beacon Theater, which I covered for my After Hours performance blog for the NYTimes’ T magazine. She rocked out to “L’homme à la Moto,” and was among the few performers, American or French, who looked like they were having a blast against the rather stiff filmed-for-French-TV cheese factor of the evening. The African Francophone singer Angelique Kidjo, accompanied only by Afrobeat rhythm guitar, was pretty fierce, too. Meanwhile, Harry Connick, Jr., looked like he was terrified of flubbing the French words to “La Vie en Rose.”
- Here I Am on Woodstock Book Talk Chatting About “Correspondents”
- Events for “Correspondents” !!!
- I’m really excited to announce my new novel, CORRESPONDENTS, out May 14 from Grove Atlantic.
- Caitlyn Jenner and the Prison-House of Perfection
- Natasha Lyonne Told Me Why She’s Addicted Now to SoulCycle, Not Drugs